Beef Slow Cooker Irish Stew
Prep: 40 minutes • Cook: 7 hours 20 minutes • Serves: 8
2-1/2 pounds boneless sirloin tip roast, fat trimmed, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
1-1/2 pounds baby red-skinned potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 garlic cloves, sliced
2 medium leeks, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/2-inch thick
1 bay leaf
1 medium yellow onion, cut into wedges
8 cups low-sodium beef broth
2 cups baby carrots
1/2 cup barley
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley leaves plus additional for garnish
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup warm water
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups frozen peas
1-1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Chopped fresh chives for garnish
1. In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. In 2 batches, add beef and cook each batch 3 to 5 minutes or until beef is browned, stirring occasionally. Transfer beef to 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
2. Add potatoes, thyme, garlic, leeks, bay leaf, onion, broth, carrots, barley, parsley and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and cook on low 7 to 8 hours or until beef and potatoes are tender.
3. In medium bowl, whisk together water and flour; stir into slow cooker. Increase heat to high, cover and cook 15 minutes. Stir in peas and vinegar; cover and cook 3 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf and thyme stems. Season with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with parsley and chives.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 445 Calories, 9g Fat (2g Saturated), 68mg Cholesterol, 332mg Sodium, 48g Carbohydrates, 7g Fiber, 42g Protein
Cheddar Irish Soda Biscuits
Prep: 15 minutes • Bake: 22 minutes • Makes: 12 biscuits
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1-1/3 cups buttermilk
Nonstick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350°. In large bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking soda. With fingertips or pastry blender, cut in butter until pea-sized crumbs form; stir in cheese. Make a well in center of flour mixture. Pour buttermilk into well. With wooden spoon, gently stir to gradually draw flour mixture into buttermilk until a soft dough forms. Knead dough in bowl just until dough begins to stick together.
2. Spray cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Drop dough by 1⁄4 cupfuls, 2 inches apart, onto prepared cookie sheet. Bake 22 to 24 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 193 Calories, 7g Fat (4g Saturated), 22mg Cholesterol, 333mg Sodium, 25g Carbohydrates, 1g Fiber, 6g Protein