Chicken & Beef Fajita Bar
Prep: 30 minutes plus marinating • Grill: 20 minutes • Serves: 12
1 cup Italian salad dressing
1/4 cup less-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3-1/2 medium red onions
1-3/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1-3/4 pounds skirt steak (about 1/2-inch thick)
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 green, orange and/or red bell peppers, sliced (about 4-1/2 cups)
24 (6-inch) flour tortillas
shredded lettuce, shredded Cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, chopped cilantro, lime wedges (optional)
1. In small bowl, whisk together garlic, dressing, soy sauce, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons oil and lime juice until well blended. Finely chop 1/2 of an onion and stir into dressing mixture.
2. Place chicken and beef in separate large ziptop plastic bags; pour half of marinade into each bag. Seal bags, pressing out excess air. Gently massage to coat all sides of meat. Refrigerate 2 to 4 hours to marinate.
3. Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. Remove chicken and beef from marinade; discard marinade. Sprinkle chicken and beef with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Place chicken and beef on hot grill rack. Cover and cook chicken and beef 10 to 12 minutes or until chicken loses its pink color throughout and reaches an internal temperature of 165°, and internal temperature of beef reaches 145° for medium-rare, turning chicken and beef once halfway through cooking. Transfer chicken and beef to cutting board; loosely cover with foil and let stand 5 minutes.
4. Line rimmed baking pan with aluminum foil. Halve and slice remaining 3 onions. On prepared baking pan, toss onions, bell peppers, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 2 tablespoons oil. Transfer foil with bell peppers and onions to hot grill rack; poke foil several times with fork. Cover and cook 10 minutes or until bell peppers and onions are tender-crisp, stirring once halfway through cooking. Transfer bell peppers and onions to serving bowl.
5. On microwave-safe plate, place half of the tortillas between 2 damp paper towels; heat in microwave oven on high 35 to 45 seconds or until tortillas are warmed. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
6. Thinly slice chicken and beef, cutting beef across the grain; transfer to serving bowls. Place toppings in separate serving bowls. Serve chicken, beef, bell peppers and onions with warm tortillas along with toppings, if desired.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 551 Calories, 26g Fat (7g Saturated), 58mg Cholesterol, 1265mg Sodium, 49g Carbohydrates, 3g Fiber, 28g Protein
Marinade can be made up to 1 week in advance and refrigerated. Chicken and beef can be marinated up to 2 days in advance and refrigerated.
Chicken and beef must be removed from marinade after 6 hours.
Store leftover tortillas in large zip-top plastic bags and refrigerate up to 1 week or freeze up to 3 months. When freezing, separate tortillas with sheets of wax paper for easy separation.