Grilled Italian Sausage, Roasted Pepper and Oregano Pizza
Prep: 15 minutes • Grill: 12 minutes • Serves: 6
Yellow cornmeal for sprinkling
1 prepared whole wheat pizza crust dough, rolled out into 12 x 16-inch rectangle (recipe follows)
1/2 cup pizza sauce
1-1/2 cups shredded pizza cheese blend
1/2 cup drained, sliced roasted red peppers
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
1. Prepare outdoor grill for indirect grilling over medium heat (about 400°). In large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes or until browned, breaking up sausage with side of spoon; drain.
2. Sprinkle bottom of rimmed baking pan or rimless cookie sheet with cornmeal. Carefully transfer rolled out dough onto baking pan over cornmeal. Carefully slide dough onto center of hot grill rack. Cover and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until bottom of crust is lightly browned, rotating once halfway through cooking. Transfer crust back to baking pan.
3. Leaving 1/2-inch border, spread pizza sauce over crust. Sprinkle cheese over sauce and top with peppers, sausage and oregano.
4. Slide pizza onto hot grill rack. Cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted, moving pizza if necessary to prevent crust from burning. Transfer to cutting board and cut into 12 pieces.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (2 pieces): 502 Calories, 22g Fat (9g Saturated), 50mg Cholesterol, 824mg Sodium, 56g Carbohydrates, 7g Fiber, 21g Protein
To prepare a gas grill for indirect grilling, preheat grill with all burners on. Turn off one of the burners for a two-burner grill, or the center burner for a three-burner grill.
Whole Wheat Pizza Crust Dough
Prep: 15 minutes plus standing • Makes: 1 (12 x 16-inch) pizza crust
1 cup all-purpose flour plus additional for dusting
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 envelope (1/4 ounce) rapid rise highly active dry yeast
1-1/4 cups warm water (110-115°)
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. In large bowl, whisk together flours, salt and yeast. With wooden spoon, stir in water, honey and oil until dough begins to come together. With hands, knead dough in bowl 1 to 2 minutes or until dough is gathered into a ball; dough will feel sticky. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let stand in warm place 45 minutes or until dough doubles in size.
2. Flour work surface. Transfer dough to work surface; cover loosely with plastic wrap and let stand 5 minutes. (This allows the dough to relax, making it easier to roll out.) Flour top of dough and rolling pin. Roll dough into 12 x 16-inch rectangle.