Prep: 45 minutes plus standing • Cook: 30 minutes • Makes: 4 dozen
1 envelope (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
4 cups all-purpose flour plus additional for dusting
1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3/4 teaspoon salt
Nonstick cooking spray
3-1/2 to 4 cups canola or vegetable oil
1 jar (13 ounces) Nutella®
2 cups powdered sugar for dusting
1. In bowl of stand mixer with dough hook, stir water, yeast and sugar; let stand 5 minutes. Add egg, flour, evaporated milk, butter and salt. Mix on low speed 2 minutes. Increase speed to medium; mix 2 minutes.
2. Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface; gently knead 2 minutes or until dough is smooth, dusting dough with flour as needed (note: dough will be very sticky). Spray large bowl with nonstick cooking spray; transfer dough to prepared bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; let stand in warm place 2 hours or until doubled in size.
3. Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface; punch down dough. Dust rolling pin with flour; roll dough to 12 x 16-inch rectangle. Using a ruler as a guide, cut dough into 2-inch squares.
4. Attach candy thermometer to side of 4-quart saucepot. Fill pot with 2 inches of oil; heat oil to 375°. Carefully add 3 to 4 beignets to hot oil; cook 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until golden brown, turning once halfway through cooking. With slotted spoon, transfer beignet to paper towel-lined cookie sheet to drain. Repeat process to cook remaining beignets, adding more oil to pot if necessary and reheating to 375°.
5. Fill pastry bag fitted with small round piping tip with Nutella®. Gently insert piping tip about 1/4 inch into side of each beignet; squeeze bag while slowly pulling out tip to fill. In large bowl, toss beignets in powdered sugar.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (2 beignets): 385 Calories, 24g Fat (7g Saturated), 11mg Cholesterol, 88mg Sodium, 38g Carbohydrates, 1g Fiber, 4g Protein
You can make this recipe without using a stand mixer by stirring the ingredients together by hand in a large mixing bowl and kneading the dough for 7 to 9 minutes until it’s smooth, dusting with flour as needed.