Pasta with Veggies & Garlic-Herb Croutons
Prep: 25 minutes • Cook/Bake: 30 minutes • Serves: 4
3 ounces rustic bread, torn into bite-size pieces (about 3 cups)
5 tablespoons olive oil
5 garlic cloves, 2 crushed with press and 3 thinly sliced
4 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
1-1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 bunch broccolini or 1/2 large head broccoli (about 8 ounces), cut into 2-inch pieces
1/2 (10.5-ounce) package cherry tomatoes
1/2 (10-ounce) package baby bella (cremini) mushrooms, quartered (about 2 cups)
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 (16-ounce) box pappardelle or fettuccine pasta
2 tablespoons very finely chopped shallot or onion
1/2 cup less-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup white wine
3/4 cup heavy cream
Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400°. In large bowl, toss bread, 2 tablespoons oil, crushed garlic, 2 teaspoons thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt and cayenne pepper until evenly coated; spread in single layer on rimmed baking pan. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
2. Position oven rack 4 to 6 inches from source of heat; preheat broiler. Heat large covered saucepot of salted water to boiling over high heat. Add broccolini and cook 1 minute; with tongs, transfer to large bowl (keep water boiling). To broccolini, add tomatoes, mushrooms, 1 tablespoon oil, 1 teaspoon thyme, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and black pepper; toss until well coated. Spread vegetables in single layer on rimmed baking pan; broil 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are charred.
3. Add pasta to boiling water and cook as label directs; drain and return to saucepot.
4. Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add shallot; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add sliced garlic; cook 20 seconds, stirring constantly. Add broth and wine; cook 1 minute. Add cream heating to boiling; cook 6 to 8 minutes or until reduced by half, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
5. Add cream sauce and vegetables to pasta; toss well to combine. Serve topped with croutons and cheese, if desired.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 524 Calories, 33g Fat (13g Saturated), 61mg Cholesterol, 983mg Sodium, 43g Carbohydrates, 6g Fiber, 9g Protein